[gmx-users] Re: Re: Need favour

Derrick Guang Yuh Lee k24dgyl at mun.ca
Wed Dec 21 14:41:59 CET 2005

Dear Poornima,

The first thing I will say is that I do recommend that you post these
messages to the GROMACS userlist, as others like yourself may be searching
for the exact same problems and other members more experienced than myself
would be available to answer your questions.

As for your problems with GROMACS failing, because the .top file you sent
me is incomplete, you did not list the number of DPPC or SOL molecules in
your system and I have no idea how many amino acids exist in your protein,
what I tell you from here on in is speculation.

 - The reason you are getting a non-zero charge of -9.99 is because you're
protein has a negative charge, more than likely due to high numbers of ASP
or GLU residues. You can compensate for this by using something like
genion to add in cations like Na or Ca.

 - The fatal error is simply because the number of atoms in your .top file
does not correspond to the number of atoms in your .gro file. You have to
open up your .gro file and figure out the exact number of DPPC and SOL
molecules you have and tose them into your .top file. Your current .top
file has too many atoms, 33935, vs. the actual number in your .gro file,
29435, and so you have an extra 4500 molecules added in. I'm assuming that
when you added your protein to the system, you had to remove DPPC lipids
and SOL molecules to insert the protein, when you do that, you must remove
those exact numbers from the .top file else GROMACS thinks that they
are there and hence you get that fatal error.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

Sincerely

 - Derrick Lee

 Derrick Guang Yuh Lee
 Department of Mathematics and Statistics / Department of Biochemistry
 Memorial University of Newfoundland
 k24dgyl at mun.ca / derrickglee at hotmail.com

"a teacher is never a giver of truth - he is a guide, a pointer to the
truth that each student must find for himself. a good teacher is merely a
catalyst."
                                                              - bruce lee