[Fwd: Re: [gmx-users] best structure]

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Feb 11 09:19:00 CET 2005

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: UCT Staff Member - Jackson <Jackson at SCIENCE.uct.ac.za>
To: David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] best structure
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:31:26 +0200
Dear David
Thanks for the reply.

I am looking at an insect neuropeptide which binds to a G-coupled
protein transmembrane receptor.  I have collected nmr data in water/dpc
micelle solution to try and mimic the membrane surface.  I am using the
nmr data to restrain the peptide during the dynamic runs.

We I built the peptide and minimized it I got 2 phenylalanine sidechains
on the same surface of the peptide even though they are not next to each
other.  This made sense because they could then project into the
hydorphobic membrane.  However, in looking at the structure in more
detail I found that two of the peptide bonds, cys and gly, were cis.  I
therefore rebuilt the molecule with all trans peptide bonds and again
minimized.  The new structure was higher in energy and had the
phenylalanine side chains on oposite sides of the peptide.  I therefore
did not know which starting structure to use in my dynamic simulation.
I am using a biphasic water/decane box for this.

To make matters worse my original construct which was estheically
pleasing was accedental and so I do not know if there are other grossly
different starting conformations.  I have now built several others
varying which peptide bonds are cis.  However with 10 aminoacids this
leads to a large number of possibilities.

To try and get arround this I did vacuum dynamics at 600K at which
temperature I did get some cis/trans isomerization.  From this I ended
up with 3 low energy conformers, (1) all trans,(2) one cis bond and (3)
two cis bonds.

These I used as starting structures in my biphasic box simulation.
After cluster analysis I end up with 4 clusters.  Only one of the
dynamic runs gave 2 clusters with significant populations while the
other two runs gave only one cluster each.

My problem now is to compare these clusters.  AT the moment I am looking
at the average noe violations.  I am also looking at the total
peptide-peptide, peptide-water and peptide-decane energies to see if
this gives a clue.

It is unlikely that in nature you would get any cis/trans isomerization
but it is possible that during the synthesis a cis isomer is produced.

Can you make any suggestions?

Thanks
Graham

 Looking at the most populated structure is fine for each dynamic run
but I

--
David.