[gmx-users] g_rms

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Mon Jan 3 18:17:46 CET 2005

Itamar Kass wrote:

>   Happy new year all, I have a question which might sound strange.  While
> calculating RMSD (using g_rms) I got strange results.  In order to check it I
> calculated the rmsd between two identical structures (I just copy a structure).
>  The calculated rmsd was more then a 1.5nm.  The differance between the two
> structures was only in the absence of hydrogen in the second structure.
> I used:
> g_rms -s M2TMP_tet_Kim.pdb -f M2TMP_tet_Kim_2.pdb
>
> Does someone know what is happening here?

Aside from your mail arriving four times? ;-)

g_rms compares by atom numbers. If one structure includes H's, atom numbers
will not match, resulting in arbitrarily high rmsd's. Try g_confrms and
select equivalent groups for both structures (e.g. C-alpha, or backbone).
For your abovementioned test, convert the one pdb file with editconf to
exclude the H's.

--
Groetjes,

Anton

* NOTE: New Phone & Fax numbers (below) *

| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel: +31 20 59 87608 - Fax: +31 20 59 87610           |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down" (RHCP)    |