[gmx-users] lipid monolayer isotherm

Hector Mtz-Seara h.seara at qf.ub.es
Tue Jan 18 18:19:11 CET 2005

Sorry after reading again and again there is one question I'm not sure
about.

> <>
> g_energy output gives surface pressure, not surface tension.

I've been reading the gromac's manual an in 7th character , page 138 ,
first paragraph, it speaks about surface tension, not surface pressure.
In the option list of g_energy also speaks about #Surf*SurfTen. Then why
you say the output is the surface pressure?. If you are right then where
is the value of the surface tension of the water to make this output in
the gromacs program. By the way it then means that you can only
calculate "surface pressure" for monolayers in pure water systems?. Can
you explain me that a little more.

> <>to compute the <><>surface tension you have to use the standard
> expression:
>
> gama = gama_0 - pi
>
> where:
>
> gama = surface tension
>
> gama_0 = pure water surface tension
>
> pi = surface pressure
>
> anyway, if you're getting surface pressures 3-fold larger than that
> of pure water, then your surface tension is negative, isn't it? if
> that happens to be the case, then your systems may be still away
> from mechanical equilibrium.
>
> maybe you could give some more details of your simulations: how did
> you assembled each monolayer? how long was each simulation run? if
> you plot surface area along the simulation time, is it stable?
>
> best regards,
>
> andre'
>
> /-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
>
> Dr. Andre' Farias de Moura