[gmx-users] Re: make_ndx

Nuno R. L. Ferreira nunolf at ci.uc.pt
Sat Jul 2 10:24:58 CEST 2005

If I understood well your question, you want to select atoms around a {x y z}.
Under VMD, play with the commands:

within, same and exwithin.

An example:

set number_frames [molinfo top get numframes]
set selection [atomselect top "exwithin 3 of protein"]
for {set i 0} {$i < $number_frames} {incr i} {
   $selection frame i
   $selection update
  set frame_index($i) [$selection get index]
}

This will give the index of the atoms around 3 angst. from protein, excluding protein atoms, for each frame in the loaded traj., and will save index values of those select atoms to the array frame_index().

Though vmd-list is more suitable to answer this question, just to show you that vmd is really very flexible ;-)

Regards
N.