[gmx-users] distorted phosphate group

Christian Burisch burisch at bph.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Jul 7 14:26:50 CEST 2005

Daniel Rigden wrote:
> Dear all

Hi Daniel,

> We're trying to do a simulation of a protein with bound
> 2-phosphoglycerate.  I've used PRODRG to get the itp file.  It does a
> great job, except for an unexpected problem with the phospho group - it
> becomes distorted after minimisation.

I had some problems with phosphate groups generated by PRODRG, too
(the phosphates were distorted and sometimes even exploding during an
MD). I always wanted to report this to Daan van Aalten, but
unfortunately forgot it completely, now I hope he is reading this... ;-)

I solved this by using parts of the standard Gromos96 PDG description
of protonated phosphates for my unprotonated ones (the charges are
derived from DFT calculations; the PRODRG charges were IMHO too
unpolar and did not match the standard groups of the force field, e.g.
hydroxyl groups), and it seems to work fine for me (there are no
impropers on the phosphate at all and the IMHO chemically equivalent
oxygens are all type OM):

  [ atoms ]
  ; atom type   charge cgnr
    O6P  OM    -1.045  1