[gmx-users] lipid bilayers jumping out of the box

David L. Bostick dbostick at physics.unc.edu
Fri Jul 8 20:28:40 CEST 2005

Hello,

There is nothing wrong with your initial pdb file per se. It's just that
gmx likes to do periodic boundary conditions (pbcs) such that the center of
the system is around Lx/2, Ly/2, Lz/2. That is, for a cubic box of say
length L, the box will be taken to reach from 0 to L in all 3 dimensions.
The way you set up your initial system ( with the center at the origin), the
box would reach from -L/2 to L/2 in each dimension. To fix this, try

editconf -f orig.pdb -o out.pdb -c

where orig.pdb is your initial configuration centered at the origin. Then
use out.pdb with mdrun.

David Bostick					Office: 262 Venable Hall
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy			Phone:  (919)962-0165
Program in Molecular and Cellular Biophysics
UNC-Chapel Hill
CB #3255 Phillips Hall				dbostick at physics.unc.edu
Chapel Hill, NC 27599	           		http://www.unc.edu/~dbostick