[gmx-users] energy minimization settings

Kai Zhuang kai.zhuang at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 18:15:25 CEST 2005

position restrained water decreases the degree of freedom (because
bonds dont change length), so you're only considering the position of
each water molecules instead of position of each individual atoms.

generally for EM you use set constraint = none, and use flexible
water.  you have to change the top file yourself to include a flexible
water topology.  (check past mails for the script) if you dont use
flexible water, system will likely reach machine precision without
reaching minimization goal very quickly.

steep is faster, but less accurate, as per described in the manual.
use steep first, if it's obvious it's not working, use cg + steep.