[gmx-users] quantum chemistry interface

Pradip Kumar Biswas p.biswas at csuohio.edu
Tue Jul 19 16:48:57 CEST 2005

Hi All,

Sergio's  query was a nice and timely mail. We have recently developed
an interface of
Gromacs with the QM code CPMD (Car-Parrinello Molecular Dynamics). You
may
find the modified Gromacs-3.2.1 code in our website:
http://comppsi.csuohio.edu/groups/
But to get the modified CPMD code (which is free) you have to wait till
their next release
(which is expected in 2-3 months or less) or have to get a CVS version
(where the qmmm
modification to work with Gromacs are already included) from one of the
CPMD developers
since we are not authorized to re-distribute the CPMD code.

So far we have made the initial tests with some standard and
non-standard systems
and a paper is on the way of publication in J. Chem. Phys. We are now
testing that for
proteins, for example, NOS.

The interface is developed based on the EGO-CPMD interface and has the
following
features:

a) You can configure and make Gromacs for both MM and QMMM with an
additional
  flag --enable-qmmm while executing ./configure.

b) As of now we have automated the above feature for the OPLS force
field but
it can be made available for all other force fields which Gromacs uses.

c)  While doing QM, you can employ the parallel computation algorithm
of CPMD.

Ps. Besides, I am aware that Gerrit has developed an interface of
Gromacs with
Gaussian0X, MOPAC7 and GAMESS-UK. So you have lots of options!

cheers,
biswas.