[gmx-users] Handling a very large system

David spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Jul 21 22:06:49 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 15:55 -0400, Ken Rotondi wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> As you can imagine based upon my recent questions, I am  simulating
> (trying to) a very large system. I'm interested in removing as many
> degrees of freedom from the system as possible, as well as minimizing
> the data storage pressures. To this end I'd like to do the following:
>
> 1) Make the aromatic rings in my simulation ridged. From chapter 6 I
> gather that this is done using the pdb2gmx flag -dummy aromatic. I have
> two questions:  is this correct? (if not is this possible and how?) Is
> it possible to do this with the aromatic portions of DNA and RNA bases?
No, and we do not recommend the -dummy aromatic flag right now, since we
are not confident that the dynamics is OK. With -dummy h you can take 4
fs timesteps.

> 2) I can constrain all angles in the system using:
>
>   constraints = all bonds
this would constrain bonds only, which is fine. constraining angles
gives problems with the LINCS algorithm although it may work with SHAKE.

> in my .mdp file. Is it possible to apply these restraints to a sub-set
> of all residues in the system?
>
> 3) This is a long-shot or worse. Using trjorder one can order the
> solvent molecules by their distance from the proteins. Is there anyway
> to, on the fly, store only the n-closest waters each time the
> coordinates are saved during a trajectory?
No.

> Thank you all very much in advance,
>
> Ken
> K.S. Rotondi Ph.D.
> Research Fellow
> The Gierasch Laboratory
> Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
> University of Massachusetts-Amherst
> Phone: 413-545-1250
> Fax;      413-545-3291

David.
Husargatan 3, Box 596,          75124 Uppsala, Sweden
phone:  46 18 471 4205          fax: 46 18 511 755
spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se    spoel at gromacs.org   http://xray.bmc.uu.se/~spoel