[gmx-users] Dielectric constant

Viswanadham Sridhara muta.mestri at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 00:08:33 CEST 2005

Hi Kim,
Go through the following journal paper, it has all the relevant formulae and
necessary calculations of dielectric constant.
 A systematic study of water models for molecular simulation:
Derivation of water models optimized for use with a reaction field.
J Chem Phys 108 pp. 10220-10230 (1998).

Best Regards,
-V

On 7/25/05, Daejoong Kim <daejoongkim at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Just to make sure, I would like to ask about how dielectric constant is
> computed with "g_dipole".
> Do you use Kirkwood formula written as
>
> (epsilon_r - 1)(2 epsilon_r + 1) 4 pi rho mu^2 g
> -------------------------------- = ---------------
> epsilon_r k T
>
> where g = ( <M^2> - <M>^2 ) / N mu^2 (Kirkwood factor), mu is chemical
> potential, rho is density.
> Do I miss something?
>

> Best regards,
>

> Daejoong Kim