[gmx-users] "ideal" mdp file for NVE simulation as textbook example

Marc Baaden baaden at smplinux.de
Sun Jun 5 12:00:03 CEST 2005

Hi,

I am currently preparing/improving a tutorial on MD which is based
on Gromacs. One of the things would be to compare a "normal" run
to a run where all is conserved as good as possible in an NVE
ensemble, that is the energy should be as constant as possible.
For this I have tried the attached mdp file, with infinite cutoff,
no constraints and no P-/T-coupling. I run it in double precision.

Still the energy goes down (ca 4 kJ per 10 ps) with increasing
noise. (See http://www.shaman.ibpc.fr/nvetest.png at the bottom)

Now I wonder whether this is as good as it gets, or whether I
overlooked some other option to avoid numerical and algorithmic
inaccuracies ?
(I can't run PME, I am in vacuo and charged; the system is bpti)

Thanks for any suggestions,
  Marc Baaden