[gmx-users] [Fwd: Question re: GROMACS units]

David spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Jun 9 20:16:12 CEST 2005

        Dear GROMACS Community,

        This program is fantastic.

        I have a question regarding rescaling units.  I'm using the Brownian
        Dynamics integrator option of mdrun to do a Brownian dynamics
        simulation of colloidal particle interactions.  These particles are
        around .7 microns, uncharged, and at room temperature.  I'm only
        simulating one type of particle.

        Question:  If my input files (table.xvg, md.mdp, etc) to the Gromacs
        simulation are set up so that the particle radius is ".7"  (e.g., the
        table.xvg potential has a minimum at 1.4) -- so that my length scale
        is now in microns, rather than the usual nanometers -- and as long as
        my particles are uncharged -- can I safely interpret all the output
        values from the simulation in an appropriately rescaled manner?

        More to the point -- if I consider my length scale to be microns
        rather than nanometers, can I easily determine the units of energy
        for the potential in table.xvg?  What are units of temperature?

It is described in the manual, chapter 2. In cannot really describe it any better.
--
David.
Husargatan 3, Box 596,          75124 Uppsala, Sweden