[gmx-users] g_energy and mdrun output

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Wed Jun 15 17:10:54 CEST 2005

David van der Spoel wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 09:59 +0200, UCT Staff Member - Jackson wrote:
>
>>Dear All
>>At the end of a cg minimisation run I get the output:
>>
>>Potential energy = -3.8554e+02
>>Maximum force .....
>>
>>However if I use g_energy to get the potential energy from the ener.edr
>>file and then look at the energy.xvg file I get:
>>0.00000  -371.276
>>
>>Is the first potential energy refering to the final energy and the
>>energy.xvg the energy at time 0?
>
> Yes, apparently the energy is not stored in the edr file during a
> minimization. You'll have to use the one that's printed on the standard
> output.

If you need it automated, you can combine all (minimized) conformations
into a trajectory, and 'rerun' that. With setting nstene = 1, you'll get
all the energies in your .edr file for easy processing... ;-)

--
Groetjes,

Anton

* NOTE: New Phone & Fax numbers (below) *

| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel: +31 20 59 87608 - Fax: +31 20 59 87610           |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down" (RHCP)    |