[gmx-users] SR and LJ energies

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Fri Jun 17 11:01:11 CEST 2005

Michal Kolinski wrote:

> Hi all.
>

> I'm simulating receptor in membrane with ligand (morphine) inside the active site of the protein.  Topology for ligand I obtained using PRODRG  server (I checked it, and the topology seems OK).  My question is about LJ and Coulomb (ligand-receptor interaction) energies I got for my 1ns MD.  I wonder why all coulomb energies are so low?  Is it normal in gromacs?
[...]

Not sure if this is the same problem, but I helped out one of our
students yesterday who wanted to run one of the Gromos ff's with
reaction field (as one should). Problem was, he'd set epsilon_r to 62,
but kept coulombtype = cut-off. The result is, you scale down charge
interactions by a factor of 62, and you don't use reaction field. FOr
that, you'd have to set coulombtype = reaction-field.

This can be (in fact, has been) very confusing! Also, there is no way in
the current implementation to use reaction field *and* scale charge
interactions. So, I'd say there actually should be a separate parameter,
eps_reaction_field or some such, to set the reaction field.

--
Groetjes,

Anton

* NOTE: New Phone & Fax numbers (below) *

| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel: +31 20 59 87608 - Fax: +31 20 59 87610           |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down" (RHCP)    |