[gmx-users] "Angular" Vs. "Linear" in NVE simulation

Antonio Baptista baptista at itqb.unl.pt
Tue Nov 8 15:00:51 CET 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Antonio Baptista wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, David wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 23:32 +0800, Xiaobing Feng wrote:
>>> Dear everyone,
>>>
>>>     When I run a NVE simulation with "Angular" the
>>> total energy decreased very rapidly, though the
>>> system is equilibrated with NPT. Once "Angular" was
>>> replaced by "Linear" the total energy is well
>>> conserved.
>>>
>>>    "Angular" removes the drifts of both center-of-mass
>>> and angular, so, it seems better to use "Angular".
>>>
>>>    Could anybody give me an explanation why "Angular"
>>> is bad in NVE?
>>
>> Not sure. It could be a precision problem, but I think we have tried it
>> in double as well. Have you tried that?
>
> If you are using periodic boundary conditions (pbc) in your NVE simulation,
> angular momentum _should_ not be conserved, regardless of the precison you
> use.  Conserved quantities are a consequence of symmetry properties: linear
> momentum is conserved when space is homogeneous (invariant under
> translation); angular momentum is conserved when space is isotropic
> (invariant under rotation). Now, the use of pbc does not mess you the
> homogenity of space, but kills its isotropy because it does not have
> spherical symmetry. When you don't use pbc (eg, when simulating a cluster)
> the space is sperically symmetric and angular momentum _should_ be conserved.
>
> This issue is mentioned in most simulation textbooks (Allen & Tildesley,
> Leach, etc). If you are curious about these symmetry matters you can have
> a look at the Feynman Lectures for a nice overview, or even at Goldstein
> (classical) or Messiah (quantum) for the heavy stuff.

I've realized that, in these previous comments I ended up forgeting to
mention the implications for your practical question: Since angular
momentum is not conserved with pbc, its removal by using "Angular" is not
a mere correction of a truncation-error drift, as for linear momentum.
Thus, while the removal of linear momentum probably takes place in the
truncation-error range, without resulting in energy dissipation, the
removal of angular momentum is much more drastic and probably involves
significant energy dissipation. That could perhaps explain your results.

Regards,
Antonio

phone: +351-214469619         email: baptista at itqb.unl.pt
fax:   +351-214411277         WWW:   http://www.itqb.unl.pt/~baptista