[gmx-users] free energy calculations blowing up

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 21:23:30 CET 2005

Jonathan,

Two comments:
(1) Although this wasn't your question, you might not want to run the
simulations sequentially. I think previous work has shown that you can
introduce some hysteresis this way, although the reference eludes me at the
moment.
(2) When changing vdW parameters, soft core helps a lot. From what you're
describing it sounds like you are doing that. If you don't use soft core,
dV/dlambda actually has a singularity for particle insertion as lambda->1
(assuming the exponent of lambda is 1, which it is by default) and is also
very susceptible to shot-type noise, and susceptible to crashes when forces
get too large (which often happens near lambda=1). You can reduce the
crashes somewhat by using smaller timesteps but this doesn't help with the
shot noise or singularity problems. To understand why this happens you can
look up van Gunsteren's paper from around 1992 introducing the soft core
potential, or contact me directly for a brief explanation. If you have any
trouble finding the reference I can look it up for you, but I don't have it
in front of me right this instant.

David Mobley
UCSF