[gmx-users] g_dipoles

David spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Nov 15 20:54:16 CET 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 14:33 -0500, Viswanadham Sridhara wrote:
> Thanks David.
> One more quick question.
> g_dipoles takes the molecule number unlike atom number for g_density.
> So if I ran a simulation, is there any way out later to divide the
> molecule into 2 seperate entities and find the dipole moment for these
> 2 entities.
> In other words if i ran the simulation with one kind of molecule which
> has a head and tail, and later I want to seperately calculate the
> dipole moment for the head and for the tail, is there any other way
> instead of re-running the entire simulation by dividing these two
> groups.......
> ((((     A has B and C entities, I want to find the dipole moment of B
> and C separately.    ))))
> I hope my question is clear...

As with perl, there are many ways to do things. Finding out how many is
left as an exercise for the reader.

To start of with, you can use tpbconv to create a tpr file in which all
but the charges your are interested in are zero. Note that you want
neutral groups, otherwise the meaning of the dipole is undefined.

A second, somewhat more difficult possibility is to make a new topology
with different molecule definitions.