[gmx-users] problems building gromacs 3.3 with mpi on MacOS X

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Thu Nov 17 19:25:57 CET 2005

Michel,
    I am trying to build against g77 for now. I maintain the
gromacs(-mpi) packages in fink and can't use xlf since most
fink users won't have that.
    Is your lam 7.1.1 built with shared library support? Also what
happens when you try to build gromacs with shared library support?
The gromacs 3.2.1 and lam 7.0.6 packages currently in fink are able
to be built with full shared lib support (in order to keep the
binaries of reasonable size). However I'm not having much luck with
shared library support in migrating these packages to lam 7.1.1 and
gromacs 3.3. Outside of the linkage error I mentioned when trying
to build a shared lib version of gromacs 3.3 against a shared lib
version of lam 7.0.6, I am finding that lam 7.1.1 doesn't seem
to compile a usable version with shared lib support. When I build
lam 7.1.1 as shared libs and run 'lamboot -v ./lamhosts', I get
an error...

hboot: attempting to execute
router (nrecv): not attached to daemon

...which doesn't happen under lam 7.0.6 built with shared lib support.
                       Jack
ps I am using Xcode 2.2 in case that makes a difference.
~