[gmx-users] version for windows

Erik Lindahl lindahl at sbc.su.se
Tue Nov 22 18:04:26 CET 2005

Hi,

We really don't  care much about MS Windows, since it's not
particularly suited for high-performance computing tasks running in
the background. To tell the truth, the main reason why we've ported
the code to native windows (i.e., not cygwin) is to enable
simulations in distributed computing environments like folding at home.

If you want a nice graphical user interface combined with Unix
environment I'd recommend Mac OS X.

Cheers,

Erik

On Nov 22, 2005, at 4:37 PM, Yang Ye wrote:

> frankly, neither. 3.1.2 is outdated and 3.2.1 has bugs that may
> affect you. if you would like to run gromacs in parallel, Windows'
> version is not suitable. If you are not familiar with text editing
> on linux, you can modify the pdb on Windows and upload it to linux
> (with WinSCP). IMHO, Gromacs for Windows is not up to the standard
> of production. It suits for temporary use on analysis or small runs.
>
> After all, running gromacs on Windows also requires *NIX skills
> because it runs under simulated POSIX environment.
>
> Everything needs to have a start and now is the time. =)
>
> Yang Ye
>
> gaurav gupta wrote:
>> thanks for the guidance...just one more help which version will be
>> better to install is it gromacs 3.1.2 or gromacs3.2.1
>> i wanted to know this since i am not fimiliar with linux and i
>> would like to work in windows for my pdb files
>> thanks in advance
>>

>> On 11/22/05, Иванов Миша <grasp2 at mail.ru> wrote:
>> Dear Gaurav,
>>
>> The version of Gromacs for Windows is situated here:
>> http://www.gromacs.org/download/binaries.php?cpu=i686&os=MS_Windows
>>
>> Choose the version, compiled by Erik Lindahl.
>>
>> Sincerely yours,
>> Misha Ivanov

Erik Lindahl  <lindahl at sbc.su.se>
Assistant Professor, Stockholm Bioinformatics Center
Stockholm University, SE 106 91 Stockholm
Phone: +46 8 5537 8564     Fax: +46 8 5537 8214