[gmx-users] Re: PCA eigenvalue normalization

Tyler Luchko tluchko at ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 7 01:29:21 CEST 2006

Hello,

Thank you for the previous responses.  I still have some questions
about the eigenvalues however.

I should note that the frames of my trajectory have been fit to a
reference structure using the backbone atoms of the first three
residues.  This is because the peptide is a fragment of a much larger
protein.

1) If I wish to compare the eigenvalues of several peptides of
different lengths how would I normalize the eigenvalues?  Do I simply
divide by the number of atoms used in the calculation?

2) If the eigenvalue represents the sum of the variances for each
particle along the eigenvector then dividing the eigenvector by the
number of atoms used in the calculation should be the average
variance. Likewise, the square root of this should be the average
standard deviation per atom.  In my case, the first eigenvector is a
stretching in the length of the peptide.  Shouldn't the average
standard deviation per atom along this stretching motion be smaller
that the standard deviation in the length of the entire peptide, or
at least smaller than the extended length of the peptide?

Thank you,

Tyler