[gmx-users] Re: PCA eigenvalue normalization

Tyler Luchko tluchko at ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 7 22:37:19 CEST 2006

Hi Tsjerk,

The system I am working on is the C-terminal tails of tubulin.  The
structure of the tails is missing in all of the crystal structures of
tubulin, likely due to the flexibility of the tails.  Since tubulin
is quite large, a heterodimer of almost 900 residues, it is not
really possible for us to adequately sample the tails' configuration
space by simulating the whole protein.  What we have done is to
simulate nine different isotypes of the c-terminal tail fragment
(9-26 residues) using constant pressure REMD.

Among the properties we are interested in is quantifying and
comparing the flexibility of tails from the different isotypes.  I
have performed PCA twice on this; fitting the all the C-alphas and
then the backbone atoms of the first three residues to a reference
structure.  The motivation for the later fitting procedure is that
the fragments would be anchored to tubulin at the fragments N-
terminus.  This is to look at how the fragments behave in the absence
of tubulin's potential but as if they are still anchored.  When
performing the PCA we are fitting to a reference structure but still
using the deviations from the mean and not from the reference
structure.  To compare the flexibility between the isotypes we had
hoped to normalize the eigenvalues.

I did note that I was inadvertently using the deviation from the
reference structure rather than from the mean (-ref).  Is this what
you meant by a non-central covariance matrix?  Using the deviation
from the mean I obtained standard deviations more inline with what I
originally expected.  These are 0.8 nm at most if I normalize the
variance by the number of atoms.

My two questions are then:

1) does it make sense to fit the last three residues, as I described
above, for the purposes of PCA?

2) is it possible to compare the relative flexibilities of the
fragments using PCA?

Thank you,

Tyler