[gmx-users] MSD

Alexandre Suman de Araujo asaraujo at if.sc.usp.br
Thu Apr 13 10:24:15 CEST 2006

Well.

I think I agree with David.... 100 cations and 100 anions without
solvent (am I correct?)... probably your system is freezing and an
evidence of this is that the slope of your MSD graph tends to zero, so
your D tends to zero too.

But considering what you said about ACFs and RDFs, I think you know what
you are doing and I´ll talk about only MSD.

Your MSD plot is right for me. It starts with a non-linear part and
after (near 1.5 ns) it become reasonable linear. But I think you need
more statistic and I suggest you run more 5 ns of simulation the get a
better linear part.

The differences between values of D calculated with and without fitting
is that in the first case you are fitting the Einstein equation (see
manual) in hole graph. In the second case you are using times 0-20 and
fitting the equation only in this part of the graph and, like you can
see on it, the curve have a high slope in the beginning. Actually, you
should use the begin-endfit option from 1.5 ns until the end of graph to
fit the Einstein equation only to the "linear" part.

About -trestart, it works restarting the initial position of the
molecule every X ps. Try to use 1, 5 and 10 ps values for it and see
what happen.

Well... summarizing... try to run more 5 ns of simulation, run msd using
-beginfit from the begin of linear part of your graph, play with
t_restart values.

I hope I helped you.

Cheers

Alexandre Suman de Araujo