[gmx-users] PME usage in 3.3 & g_energy: doubt ?

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Aug 1 17:44:52 CEST 2006

Luca Mollica wrote:

>> First, with rlist = rvdw, you will not get long range Lennard Jones
>> interactions. In fact I would recommend using a larger vdw cut-off, as
>> 0.9 is very short. Are you sure you are using the same mdp file?
>

> Yes it is .... and I have used the standard values suggested by GROMACS
> guide.
> (3.2 and 3.3 as well, non bonded section, long range electrostatics
> interactions). This value is widely applied elsewhere in literature:
> but, ok, I can consider for the future the increase of rvdW values for
> improving calculations accuracy. Thank you.
>

>> About the LR coulomb, it will only appear if you have rlist < rcoulomb.
>

> Sure, I got it, standard issue ... that was the point: my doubt was
> about the difference between the two versions. Indeed, in GMX 3.2 I got
> the values even in PME, in 3.3 I do not have LR values and this was
> quite misleading.

DO NOT use rlist < rcoulomb with PME though! You will have a weird mix
where forces between particles at distance smaller than rcoulomb and
larger than rlist are update only every nstlist steps, and distances
smallar than rlist *and* distances larger than rcoulomb are updated
every step.

>> In that case the sphere between rlist and rcoulomb is frozen for the
>> direct electrostatic interaction calculation during PME between two
>> nlist updates (set by nlist = X).
>

> Great .... ok, thanx for the answer: what I was supposing is now confirmed.
> Now I feel more comfortable with this new GMX :)
>
> Bye & thanx again
>

> Luca

> Sostieni la ricerca del San Raffaele con il 5permille!
> E' SEMPLICE E NON COSTA NULLA.
> Basta indicare nell'apposito riquadro della dichiarazione dei
> redditi ("Ricerca sanitaria") il codice fiscale della Fondazione Centro
> S. Raffaele del Monte Tabor:
> 03 06 42 80 153 e ricordarsi di firmare.
> Se vuoi saperne di piu' scrivi a 5permille at hsr.it o vai sul sito
> www.5xmille.org

David.
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755