[gmx-users] segmentation fault when using g_hbond

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Aug 2 16:11:47 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 15:59 +0200, Erik Marklund wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 13:50 +0100, Una Bjarnadottir wrote:
> > Dear users,
> >
> > I want to use the -sel option in g_hbond and selected three hydrogen
> > bonds to analyse.  I choose the atom number according to the .gro file
> > used to make the index file which had the
> >  [ selected atoms]
> > 20 21 24
> > 25 26 29
> > 34 35 37
> > as it says in the manual: Donor Hydrogen Acceptor:  When running the
> > g_hbond  with the -sel option and chose my group it always comes
> > segmentation fault but it ran when I didn't use the -sel option and
> > calculated the number of hydrogen bonds as a function of time.
> > Is this a bug or is it something wrong with how I made the .ndx file?
> >

> I think that in recent versions of g_hbond the -sel option does not work
> at all. I don't know if it ever worked. It is a known bug. You will have
> to find another way of doing your analysis or fix the bug yourself, the
> latter being far from trivial I think.

Furthermore, if you use the -ac, -life or -hbm options I recommend using
the latest version of g_hbond from the cvs repository, since it contains
some bug fixes affecting the reliability of -ac, -life and -hbm output.
It also provides an index file matching the hbm.xpm file when -merge is
used, which wasn't the case in previous versions.

/Erik