[gmx-users] Distance restraints

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 18:34:11 CEST 2006

If I remember correctly, distance restraints (for some reason) only
work between multiple atoms of the same "molecule". By molecule, I
don't mean that they have to be joined by bonds; rather, both need to
appear in the same [ moleculetype ] section of the topology, which
means that GROMACS considers them a "molecule".

The other way of thinking of this is that distance restraints use the
atom numbers from the [ atoms ] section that they follow. If you're
trying to use the atom numbers from your gro file, it won't work;
GROMACS won't understand them. So in your case, it means you need to
get the parameters for your ions out of your ions.itp file and insert
explicit ions with atom numbers into the appropriate sections of your
topology, following the peptide atoms, probably.

I hope that makes sense. Search the mailing list on distance
restraints if you need more; this has been discussed on thel ist
before.

David