[gmx-users] edit specbond.dat file

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 21:23:34 CEST 2006

Hi Elias,

Use a GROMOS96 force field (43a2, 45a3, or preferrably 53a5 or 53a6)
or OPLS, or Amber... Let it depend on the question you want to answer.
Do you want to compare with results previously obtained? Do you need
all atoms, i.e. all hydrogens, or can you do with a united atom force
field (and simulate more for the same computational cost)? Are there
parameters available for an Fe4S4 cluster for any of these force
fields? - Maybe someone has performed a simulation of a protein with
such a cluster before? Otherwise, you have to try to derive a decent
set of parameters yourself.

To build the complete topology, you have two possibilities. Either
write an .rtp entry and add the appropriate connections to the
specbond.dat file, such that you can use pdb2gmx now and in the future
for Fe4S4 cluster containing proteins, or first build the topology of
the protein part using pdb2gmx, write a topology for the FeS cluster,
add the latter to the protein topology and include the appropriate
definitions for the bonds, angles, dihedrals, pairs, etc (see Chapter
5 of the manual).

Hope this helps,

Tsjerk

--

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, M.Sc.
Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute (GBB)