[gmx-users] This may be it, but what to do?

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Wed Aug 23 08:21:04 CEST 2006

Hi Marc,

The .gro format should contain:

1 line with title/comment
1 line specifying the number of atoms (n)
n lines with atom coordinates
1 line with the box specification

For a rectangular box, the box specification is just three free
format floating-point numbers (x,y,z axes).

Gromacs can also work with triclinic boxes, which can be used to
represent truncated octahedron or rhombic dodecahedron unit cells. In
this case, the box is represented as a symmetric 3x3 matrix. To keep
it compatible with the rectangular boxes, those box specifications
contain six numbers, namely the elements

XX    YY     ZZ      XY      XZ      YZ

The most likely problem in your case is that you have specified too
few/many atoms, and thus grompp isn't finding a reasonable box, but
tries to generate one from the largest/smallest coordinate in each
dimensions.

Good programs (VMD, Pymol) should be able show you triclinic boxes
(we can export the triclinic box correctly to a pdb file), but some
programs might just show you the diagonal components as a rectangular
box.

Cheers,

Erik