[gmx-users] abbreviations in pdb files

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 21:45:38 CEST 2006

pdb2gmx only knows how to convert pdb files containing proteins with
standard residues into GROMACS format, not (typically) small molecules
like methane, methanol and so on. You will either need to obtain
GROMACS topologies for these molecules from some other source, or
generate them yourself.

The strategy for generating them for yourself varies somewhat
depending on the force field you are using. Prodrg generates itp
(topology, basically) files for some small  molecules that are
appropriate for the GROMOS ff, if I remember correctly. There is some
utility available for automatically generating OPLS parameters for
small molecules, although I don't know that this would generate
GROMACS topologies, so if you wanted to use OPLS, you might have to
figure out how to convert these into GROMACS topologies. In AMBER, the
Antechamber module can generate GAFF parameters for various small
molecules, which can be converted from AMBER format into GROMACS
format. It simply isn't as simple as running through pdb2gmx. Small
molecule parameterization is a nontrivial thing.

David