[gmx-users] Folding at Home on PS3 == Gromacs on PS3?

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Fri Aug 25 09:08:14 CEST 2006

Hi,

The Pande group will indeed be using Gromacs in F at H on the PS3, but
at least initially it will be not be an accelerated version that
makes good use of all the 8 SPE processors, but rather compiled. To
them it's still useful due to the sheer number of machines they can
get access to.

However, we _are_ working on real Cell optimizations, but that's much
harder. In contrast to SSE/Altivec/ia64 assembly it is not just a
matter of instructions, but we need to come up with an entirely new
way of handling the data, and programming direct memory access on the
SPEs.

Similar stuff is going in with graphics cards. Right now the
neighborlists is the main obstacle, but we have good hopes this might
improve in the next generation of GPUs.

So, we're not keeping things secret, it's just that this type of
hardware isn't particularly useful compared to clusters yet ;-)

Cheers,

Erik