[gmx-users] free energy: annihilation

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sun Aug 27 16:29:07 CEST 2006

David Mobley wrote:
> Yuguang reminds me of something else... I just did a bunch of
> hydration free energy calculations for a large set of small molecules.
> These tend to be pretty accurate for stuff that is mostly nonpolar,
> but the larger the charges are, the bigger the deviation from
> experiment can be. In particular, I tested a bunch of different charge
> models; the average error is correlated with the dipole moment, among
> other things. Generally, I would say that the larger your hydration
> free energies are, the worse you will probably do compared to
> experiment, unless you have some way of getting really terrific
> partial charges or something. If DMSO has high partial charges, it
> seems quite possible that the "right" answer for the hydration free
> energy with those partial charges may end up being quite different
> from experiment.

This seems weird, the only physical reason I can think of would be a
contribution due to depolarization (as in Berendsen's SPC/E model). For
water this would be roughly 4 kJ/mol. However for DMSO in my case it
would be less, since it has a high dipole in the gas phase as well.
Obviously if the model is poor results will be poor.

Could there be some other systematic problem?
--
David.
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755