[gmx-users] free energy: annihilation

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Aug 29 19:34:49 CEST 2006

David Mobley wrote:
> David,
>
>> > Yuguang reminds me of something else... I just did a bunch of
>> > hydration free energy calculations for a large set of small molecules.
>> > These tend to be pretty accurate for stuff that is mostly nonpolar,
>> > but the larger the charges are, the bigger the deviation from
>> > experiment can be. In particular, I tested a bunch of different charge
>> > models; the average error is correlated with the dipole moment, among
>> > other things. Generally, I would say that the larger your hydration
>> > free energies are, the worse you will probably do compared to
>> > experiment, unless you have some way of getting really terrific
>> > partial charges or something. If DMSO has high partial charges, it
>> > seems quite possible that the "right" answer for the hydration free
>> > energy with those partial charges may end up being quite different
>> > from experiment.
>> >
>> This seems weird, the only physical reason I can think of would be a
>> contribution due to depolarization (as in Berendsen's SPC/E model). For
>> water this would be roughly 4 kJ/mol. However for DMSO in my case it
>> would be less, since it has a high dipole in the gas phase as well.
>> Obviously if the model is poor results will be poor.
>

> No, not systematic. Just think of it this way: If you have only small
> partial charges, the only thing that can possibly  be wrong that will
> make much difference is the LJ parameters or the water model. If the
> partial charges are larger, they can also make a big difference in the
> hydration free energy. Thus, for mostly apolar molecules, you can't do
> *too* badly, since water molecules and LJ parameters are generally
> decent. But for polar molecules, if your partial charges are really
> bad, you can do very badly.
>
> In other words, all I'm saying is basically that the larger the
> hydration free energy is, the more wrong it can, which is fairly
> obvious. :)

It still seems strange, if one can get a lot of other properties
correct, like DHvap, dielectric constant, density, diffusion constant etc.
Unfortunately my simulations are converging very slowly, but I hope to
have more conclusive results soon.

> I actually found that, for my test set, depending on the partial
> charges I used, I could get hydration free energies for polar
> molecules that varied by more than a factor of 2. And these were all
> "sensible" charge sets in some sense (QM-based, fit using RESP).

Reasonable Estimate of Simple Point charges...

It's not that I know of any better method to do it, but the QM levels of
theory typically used for computing charges are *very* low, and far from
convergence to the basis-set limit. In addition RESP is not a good
method, because the problem is underdetermined... You know, Peter
Kollman once told me that they did quantum calculations followed by RESP
and then multiplied the charges by 0.9.

> The moral of the story is that basically you should be careful what
> charges you use, and be aware that it is possible for the charge set
> to mess things up a whole lot.
<cynical>
Or: for interesting molecules you're out of luck, unless you're lucky
</cynical>

--
David.
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755