[gmx-users] clarification on configuration error: configure: error: conditional "am__fastdepCXX" was never defined.

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 22:03:06 CEST 2006

David,

> > The other possibility is I might be in the wrong branch or
> > something... I just followed the instructions on the web page:
> >
> > cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs at cvs.gromacs.org:/home/gmx/cvs login
> > cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs at cvs.gromacs.org:/home/gmx/cvs co gmx
> > And then within the gmx directory:
> > cvs update -A -r release-3-1-patches
> >
> > Should that give me the current CVS for 3.3.1? If so, any further
> > suggestions?
> no you're checking out the head branch and applying all the 3.3.1
> patches to it, which will be pretty messy.
>
> you want to do
> co -r release-3-3-patches gmx

As I pointed out, the instructions I am following come straight from
the web page (http://www.gromacs.org/gromacs/downloads/cvs-usage.html):

$>cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs at cvs.gromacs.org:/home/gmx/cvs login
Password:
$>cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs at cvs.gromacs.org:/home/gmx/cvs co gmx

This will create a "gmx" subdirectory with all the Gromacs sources. To
create the configure script files you should now run the "./bootstrap"
script in the gmx directory. To do this you might need to install or
upgrade your versions of autoconf and automake to those provided on
this site. Check the developer tools section in the menu to the left!
If you don't give any special command you will check of the HEAD
branch, which is the main development branch, heading for the next
major Gromacs version. If you only want to check or work with the most
recent bugfixes in the stable revision tree you should switch 'branch'
to the patches for the stable version instead. This is easy; just
write

$>cvs update -A -r release-3-1-patches

If the above are incorrect, you should change the web page.

I would also note that when I follow this procedure, but replace
"release-3-1-patches" with "release-3-3-patches", I get something that
compiles with no problems.

A further clarification request: does release-3-3-patches get me 3.3, or 3.3.1?

Thanks,
David