[gmx-users] dummy atoms for amber free energy

Maik Goette mgoette at mpi-bpc.mpg.de
Tue Feb 7 10:56:46 CET 2006

Hi David

That's also a point of discussion in our group.
My personal opinion is, that a mass, which is connected via e.g. the
bond potential would fluctuate in the harmonic function and those energy
terms should cancel out over time. For the dummy-masses have no other
interactions, there won't occur any frictional energy contribution.
So everything should be fine.
Anyway, grompp don't like 0 masses. This may be, because F/m=a and this
would lead to a division with 0, which isn't defined. I never tried to
compare a run with full dummy masses and masses set to small values,
e.g. 0.001.

For this is very intuitive, I would be very thankful for every hint to
literature regarding this aspect.:)

Regards

Maik Goette, Dipl. Biol.
Theoretical & computational biophysics department
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen
Germany
Tel.  : ++49 551 201 2310