[gmx-users] Re: Re: Energy conservation of rigid water models

milton sonoda mtsonoda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 21:08:06 CET 2006

I strongly sugest you to try double precision compilation
for energy conservation in NVE.

Single precision is enough for NPT/NVT due to
convenient algorithms (velocity and volume reescaling)
that keeps the system at the desired termodynamic state
(constante pressure and constante temperature) masking
the truncation errors of the single precision simulation.

In NVE no algorithm is used, so the double precision
is necessary to prevent/postpone energy drift due to
this error acumulation.