[gmx-users] QM/MM features

Pradip Kumar Biswas p.biswas at csuohio.edu
Tue Feb 21 22:36:01 CET 2006

Hi Yolanda,

Sometimes back I discussed the issue of transition states with Gerrit
and
understood that it is not yet implemented in any of his interfaces
though he
is interested to. And this is true for Gromacs-CPMD qmmm as well. They
now
offer mdrun energy minimization and simulation for the whole system
(QM+MM).

Ps. As far as Gromacs-CPMD qm/mm is concern I can see one possibility
though.
That is using CPMD metadynamics to find the transition state for the QM
fargment
while the MM environment is added as an external field to the QM. Now
one
can adopt  a perturbative approach by coming back to Gromacs, making
the move
of the atoms (QM+MM) and then again go to CPMD metadynamics; and repeat
till the energy of the transition state converges. I can not say how
far it makes sense
as I have not done any calculation but I see it is a possibility
without seeking a lot
of changes in the codes.

cheers,
pradip.