[gmx-users] genius software
Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 24 02:13:22 CET 2006
Yegor Isakov wrote:
> Dear Daan van Aalten,
> There is a lot of respect of your work and work of others. It would be
> even more respect, less questions, and more unbroken heads if you make
> simple description how to use your genius software.
> Thank you for you attention.
Descriptions of how to use scientific software, if simple, are probably
wrong. Using scientific software is rarely simple, for reasons including
1) There are normally so many choices that there simply aren't any
sensible always-applicable defaults so that you can hide complexity from
2) There aren't enough users to justify the author's efforts, even if
3) There aren't enough users who want decisions taken away from them.
4) These users are normally not generating much money relative to
commercial non-scientific software.
5) The authors are normally scientists who developed the software to
help them answer a specific problem or group of problems. They're paid
to work on the problems, not to produce the software.
More information about the gromacs.org_gmx-users