[gmx-users] Simulation Techniques***Energy minimisation for Small Molecules.

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 28 05:23:02 CET 2006

jaimohan sm wrote:
> Helo to all Gromax users...
> I am very interesting to working in small molecules...ie calculating
> energy in the sense by using thermodynamic laws.
> Is there is any chance to minimise the energy for a small fragment of
> proteins ..may be ligand binding site or an cavity portion.
> Without disturbing the actual geomentry of the protein structure and
> function.

Your chance of accurately corresponding to real physics depends
critically on your model physics. Proteins are too large to use good
physical models, so quantum-mechanical/molecular-mechanical (QM/MM)
hybrid methods have evolved to treat a component at QM level and the
bulk of the structure at MM level. This is done because the steric
constraints and electrostatic field of the rest of the protein affect
the small region of interest. If you don't care about it, then give up
and do small-model QM on your region of interest. I understand gromacs
can do this sort of QM/MM calculation in concert with the QM package
GAMESS, but know nothing about it. The QM package Gaussian can also do
it (but not with gromacs), there may be others. You will need to read
the literature for a good understanding of the limitations of the
method. This is a much more of an "experts-only" field than general MD.
In particular, accurate transition structures are hard to locate.