[gmx-users] need help with free energy of solvation calculati on

Moore, Jonathan (J) JMoore2 at dow.com
Tue Jan 10 23:56:42 CET 2006

David M.,

Thanks for the help and suggestions...

>I am not sure why your A and B states would be the same,
>though; your toplogy file (mostly) looks OK (see below).
>If you can send the full topology and coordinate files
>and an mdp file as attachments I can take a more detailed look.

It looks like my B states was not being defined because of the way I was defining my atoms in my .itp where I defined the molecule.  I was using the form:
[ atoms ]
;   nr    type   resnr  residu    atom    cgnr  charge  typeB  chargeB
    4     CH1       1    H000      C3       2   0.232   CH1    0.180

with the masses defined in the [ atomtypes ] section of the ff45a4nb.itp file instead.  Defining the masses in the [ atomtypes ] section worked OK for a non-FE simulation (i.e., no B-state to be defined), but not for FE.  My B state definition didn't begin to work until I explicitly defined the A- and B-state masses in the [ atoms ] section like this:
[ atoms ]
;   nr    type   resnr  residu    atom    cgnr  charge  mass     typeB  chargeB  massB
     4     CH1       1    H000      C3       2   0.232  13.0190   CH1   0.180    13.0190

Also, I saw somewhere in the manual that you need to define B state parameters for angles, torsions, etc. that involve perturbed atoms even if that particular interaction doesn't change.

Now I think my A and B states are being defined properly.  I am getting several warnings of this type from grommp:
"No default Proper Dih. types for perturbed atoms, using normal values"

This warning occurs each time my dihedral type gd_17 appears, for example:
[ dihedrals ]
;  ai    aj    ak    al funct   type
   13     3     4     7     1 gd_17 gd_17

Atoms 4 and 7 are being perturbed, so I understand that it is expecting a B-state dihedral type.  However, as you can see above, I have defined the the B-state dihedral type, so I don't know why it is complaining.  Anyone have any ideas?  Looking in gmxdump, I think the parameters that are being assigned for those proper torsions are correct, so I guess I'll just ignore the warnings for now using the -maxwarn option and try the FE calculation again.

>Also (and here's where my ignorance of the paper comes in),
>are you actually intending to change some of the atoms from
>hydrogens to carbons, and appear new sites? Your topology
>doesn't look like it's appearing any new sites right now,
>I don't think (don't you need dummy atoms initially for that?

The polar hydrogens that I'm changing are explicitly represented (charges but no vdw interactions), so I don't need dummy atoms for them.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jonathan Moore, Ph.D.
Research and Engineering Sciences - New Products
Core R&D
The Dow Chemical Company
1702 Building, Office 4E
Midland, MI 48674  USA