[gmx-users] Re: MDS of transmembrane protein

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Thu Jan 19 15:48:43 CET 2006

Vandana Kumari wrote:
> Dear Sir,
> I want to do molecular dynamic simulation of transmembrane protein of
> residue 309. The 3D structure of that protein is not known. I have
> modelled that protein by homology now I want to do Molecular dynamic
> simulation of that transmembranne protein. Is it possible to do simulation
> by GROMACS? Please suggest me system requirement for the MDS of
> transmembrane protein of residue 309.

Generally speaking, MD of membrane proteins is not very easy. But, yes,
it is possible to do, and, yes, you can do it with GROMACS. However, I
am not an expert in membrane protein simulations. What I do know, is
that a system of a protein(-complex) plus membrane plus water (solvent)
typically is large (>50000 atoms). On a single high-end (~3.5GHz)
pentium CPU, you would probably require several days, or maybe even more
than a week, for a single nanosecond. In addition, you will first have
to equilibrate your system, which can be also very difficult and
time-consuming... I don't want to scare you, but I also don't want to
give you unrealistic expectations.

One of the best places to start, would be the website of Prof. Peter
Tieleman: http://moose.bio.ucalgary.ca/. He is one of the pioneers of
membrane protein simulation, and also uses Gromacs a lot.

Also, do have a look in the archives of the Gromacs Users mailing list:
http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php.
Searching for 'membrane protein' should get you some additional
pointers, and solutions to problems you might run into. Be aware that if
you want to post a message to the list, you will first have to subscribe
(which you can do online).

--
Groetjes,

Anton

* NOTE: New Affiliation, Phone & Fax numbers (below) *
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam   |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081A HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P440 |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down" (RHCP)    |