[gmx-users] Electrostatics and VDW

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 18:34:19 CET 2006

Una,

With PME, you don't have to have rlist<rvdw. You might, however, want to
have rlist slightly larger than rvdw. You don't have to, but since the
neighbor list is only updated every nstlist steps, if rlist is the same as
rvdw, you can run into the situation where an atom has moved inside the vdw
cutoff in a couple of steps, but your calculation doesn't realize it has
moved inside the cutoff until after nstlist steps. You can solve the
problem, of course, by using nstlist=1, but that could slow things down a
lot, so it may be better to simply use, say, rlist=1.1 and rvdw=1.0 so atoms
appear in the neighbor list before getting counted for vdw interactions.

David