[gmx-users] Huge trr files

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 18:17:54 CET 2006

It all depends on what you want to do with the output. In order to be
able to restart runs, you need to have some restart files with
velocities (i.e. in case of crash), which means you need *some* frames
in your trr files. Also, xtc files aren't full precision, so if you
want anything that requires full precision (i.e. being able to
reprocess trajectories, or compute some parameter which is extremely
sensitive to distances) then you need to use trr files. On the other
hand, if all you care about is being able to see roughly what happens
in your system, you're free to use only xtc files. A usual compromise
for me is to write more frames to xtc files and fewer to trr files.

Also, 0.5 ps sounds fairly short to me. A general rule of thumb for me
is that you don't need to bother writing frames that are a lot shorter
than the correlation time for your system, since frames will be
strongly correlated. If you have an idea how long the correlation time
is, you can adjust your output frequency accordingly.

A final trick to reduce the size is to only write some component of
the system to output (I think there is an output groups option in the
input file).

Lastly, decide how much space you can afford to spend on your output
files, and adjust your output parameters accordingly.

David