[gmx-users] Implemetation of the CHARMM27 ff into gromacs : managment of dihedral terms

Nicolas SAPAY nsapay at ucalgary.ca
Wed Jul 12 00:47:12 CEST 2006

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your scripts. They are well commented and very easy to
understand. Unfornunately, they don't work with my CHARMM parm files. It
is probably a problem of format at the .par begining. I don't know well
Perl but I think I can fix this.

In the conversion made by Yuguang MU, available in the Gromacs site,
improper angles seem to be treated by a periodic function, as said
previously. for exemple, the dihedral angle between O, CT1 NH2 and CC
types is defined as followed in the CHARMM .par
i    j    k    l    Kpsi      ignored   psi0
O    CT1  NH2  CC   45.0000   0         0.0000

after conversion by Yuguang, it becomes in the xxxbon.itp
[ dihedraltypes ]
#define  improper_O_CP1_NH2_CC_  180.00000  94.14000  2

and in the xxx.rtp
[ impropers ]
C NT -CA O improper_O_CP1_NH2_CC_

while in your scripts, impropers are defined in the [ dihedraltypes ] with
function 2. So, I'm not sure to well understand the trick behind that...
May be it depends on the way that CHARMM and Gromacs have implemented
harmonic functions?

Additionally, I have checked how you deal with the 1-4 LJ parameters of
CHARMM.  You define them as comment on the same line than regular LJ
parameters, in the atomtypes section of the xxxnb.itp file, and then
correct them with the second script. It is probably a stupid question (I'm
new in Gromacs :-) ), but is it  a good idea to defined 1-4 parameters in
the [ pairtypes ] section? Let's say that the atom type CT1 is defined
with 1-4 LJ parameters. Then, it can be possible to define all  pair with
CT1 with its 1-4 LJ parameters int the pairtypes section and use them to
produce the .top... It is probably not a bright solution, but if it can
work...

Nicolas

--
[ Nicolas Sapay Ph.D. ]
University of Calgary, Dept. of Biological Sciences

<quote who="Mark Abraham">