[gmx-users] center of mass pulling in AFM

Kay Gottschalk kay.gottschalk at physik.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Jul 18 16:07:19 CEST 2006

Thanks for your suggestion to do something more similar to reality.
We are trying to mimick an experiment with covalently bound protein.
Of course the protein is not fixed in the center of mass, but at some
sidechain. Now due to all kind of effects, if we simulate with this
sidechain atom fixed, the protein unfolds. This is mainly caused by
the sad fact that our simulations still cannot span the time scale of
the experiment. Too bad. Therefore, we need to find some way around
this problem. Since the unfolding has something to do with a
combination of force propagation and viscous drag, it might be more
similar to the experiment to pull at the center of mass than at one
atom. This is when our discussion about COM started. You see, we are
indeed trying to simulate something more similar to reality.
Thanks again for your comments,
Kay.