[gmx-users] Long range interaction energy of charged particles with PME - GMX 3.3.1

Ran Friedman ran at hemi.tau.ac.il
Thu Jul 27 10:14:03 CEST 2006

Dear GMX users and developers,

I previously asked how to calculate the long range interactions between
charged particles simulated with PME:
http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2004-October/012627.html

I repeat the question here. If I want to calculate the LR Coulomb
interaction energy between say a protein and a ligand the normal
procedure would involve several mdrun -rerun runs: (1) with atoms
charged (2) with the charges on the protein neutralised (3) with the
charges on the ligand neutralised (4) with the charges on the solvent
neutralised. When the protein is charged, there will be a net charge in
the simulation shell in case (2). This net charged is corrected in PME
as implemented in GMX. In GMX 3.2.1, I could not account for the
correction, so the calculation wouldn't be exact (see the message
above). What's the situation in GMX 3.3.1?

Thanks,
Ran.

Ran Friedman
http://bioinfo.tau.ac.il/~ran
Laser Laboratory for Fast Reactions in Biology
Department of Biochemistry
Faculty of Life Sciences
Tel-Aviv University
Tel. +972-3-6409824