[gmx-users] Fe - Cys S bonds

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 22:13:44 CEST 2006

Hi Elias,

Unless you're doing QMMM calculations, it is out of the question that
bonds are broken and formed during your simulation. Whether atoms are
bonded depends merely on the definitions in the topology file. The
bonds you see in a structure visualization program are usually
inferred from distances and therefore you can conclude that some atoms
which are bonded get away from each other, despite the bonds, while
atoms which are not bonded appear to give strong interactions,
bringing them at too short distances (displaying as bonds).

To cut it short, you have a problem in your topology. Also, an iron
cluster will be problematic in terms of the parameters. Where did you
get your parameters or how did you derive them?

Tsjerk