[gmx-users] grompp error:Invalid order for directive defaults

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 18:11:47 CEST 2006

Hi,

I don't think you can use two force fields at the same time, and I
think this would be a bad idea even if you could. That is, force
fields are parameterized to work well with themselves, NOT with other
force fields. That's why, for example, you don't model, say, the alpha
helical part of a protein using a force field that does particularly
well at modelling alpha helices and the beta sheet part using a force
field that does particularly well for beta sheets. The results you got
would probably make no sense.

What you need is to generate parameters for your small molecule that
are appropriate for the force field you are using. If you are using
OPLS, then you need OPLS parameters for your ligand. There are some
utilities, I think, that can automatically generate OPLS parameters
for many ligands. I haven't used them personally, but Schrodinger has
one, I think. Suggest using Google. If you can't turn anything up,
contact me again and I can probably dig up the name of it from
somewhere.

Otherwise, I would suggest using the AMBER FF, which is available as a
port to GROMACS from the Pande group. It is possible to generate
ligand parameters for that in a fairly automated way using antechamber
and gaff and a conversion script we have.

David Mobley
UCSF