[gmx-users] special molecule

Alan Dodd anoddlad at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 18:21:14 CEST 2006

It's entirely possible to mix and match forcefield
files to create a hybrid forcefield - the lipid
forcefield I use has OPLS parameters for the
headgroups, custom parameters for lipid tails, and GMX
parameters for everything else.  As long as the hybrid
forcefield is internally consistent, it will work.
How accurate it is, is another matter...
So yes, you can technically use PRODRG itps with other
forcefields, but bear in mind firstly, atomtypes etc
in your itp file will all need checking to make sure
they are accounted for in both forcefields (are
'default' values the same in one forcefield as
another, for instance?  Probably not - you may need to
alter the itp to describe defaults explicitly), and
secondly that they are not designed to be used in the
same system.

--- Dongsheng Zhang <dong at pampas.chem.purdue.edu>