[gmx-users] oplsaa force field and dummy atoms

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 20:23:26 CEST 2006

Murat,

A dummy atom is a dummy atom. You can define it in your toplogy file,
so you don't have to use the preexisting ones defined by the force
field you're using. Just add appropriate entries in the atomtypes
section. For example, in one of my topologies, I have something like:

[ atomtypes ]
; name   bond_type   mass   charge   ptype     sigma   epsilon
c3          c3              0.000   0.000     A          3.39967e-01  4.5773e-01
dc3         c3             0.000   0.000     A          0.0000          0.0000
(etc)

The first one is a normal atom (but I specify the mass and charge in
the [ atoms ] section); the second is a dummy atom (no LJ parameters).

David