[gmx-users] Force Calculation

Justin M. Shorb shorb at wisc.edu
Wed Jun 28 23:55:37 CEST 2006

Greetings!

I have managed to hack through all the Gromacs code and at the bottom
of it all are machine-run look up tables. Does anyone know of where I
can find the organization of these tables and the way they are called
through the program? Or possibly, if anybody has written their own code
to extract data from the look-up tables on the fly? Luckily, Gromacs
has already sorted out the different contributions to the forces so I
think I can pull out the data I need, but I'm afraid I don't even know
what sort of files (or code) the table functions are written in.

Where I've gotten is to: /src/gmxlib/nonbonded/nonbonded.c  which calls
the machine specific kernels. I am more than willing to work through
this myself, but can anybody point me to a good book/site that explains
what is actually going on when Gromacs looks up these forces?

Sorry for the imprecise language! Basically I just need to extract the
SR electrostatic force from the look-up tables on the fly, and can't
find any references out there that explain what goes on in nonbonded.c

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Justin M. Shorb			Phone: (608) 262-0483
Skinner Group				shorb at wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin-Madison,  Department of Chemistry
1101 University Ave., Madison, WI, 53706